With the popularity of electric vehicles increasing every month (reportedly, BC has the highest adoption rate in the country which is not a surprise to anyone who has driven in the downtown core recently), there is more and more pressure on Strata Corporations to allow for electric vehicle charging stations to be installed in their parkades. Many are amenable, but run into pragmatic problems such as:
- Aged infrastructure and limited electrical capacity;
- The need for capital expenditures to run electrical wires/conduits/install stations;
- The need to update Bylaws and Rules to set a regime for the installation, maintenance, operation, user parameters and remuneration related to the charging stations;
- 3/4 Votes to change the use/appearance of Common Property (to accommodate the conduits and charging stations themselves, and also the re-designation of visitor parking when necessary);
- Appropriate indemnifications to the Strata Corporation for owner installed stations and/or the usage of Strata operated stations.
continue reading →